My sister mentioned that strawberry-rhubarb pie was her favorite kind of pie but I’ve never tried it so naturally I had to eat some…I couldn’t find any fresh rhubarb for the longest time (canned? eww) but I finally found some and here we are!
'Strhuberry' Lemon Meringue Tart
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds (just grind some blanched almonds in the food processor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, ground almonds, salt, cold butter and cold water. Pulse about 10 times until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn the processor on low and stream in the cold water until the dough starts to form a ball.
- Dump out onto parchment paper that is lightly floured. Place another sheet on top. Roll into a 10-inch disc. Roll from the center outward and keep turning the dough to get an even disc.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes then drape the dough over a 9-in tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough into the sides. Place in the refrigerator.
- Combine all “Filling” ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until everything is incorporated. Spread evenly in the tart shell.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the lemon. Slowly add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Whip until hard peaks form. Spread or pipe the meringue over the top of the tart. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°F until sufficiently browned on the top. Allow to cool then chill in fridge for an hour or two. Enjoy!
Comments, questions, food suggestions? Leave a message below!
Be sure to follow me on Facebook and WordPress for more fat cow food 🙂